So one of my favourite dishes that are made at home is chicken pulao. I've been meaning to learn how to make it for ages now and today finally did! Here are some pictures of my experience as well as the recipe.
Chicken Pulao Recipe
- 1 or 2 green chillies, sliced
- 1.25kg medium tomatoes cut into fours
- 1 ½ whole garlic
- 3 1 ½ inch ginger
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 pieces big, black cardamom
- 6 pieces small, green cardamom
- 1 handful black pepper corns
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cloves
- 9 medium onions, sliced
- 200g ghee
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 3 800g whole chicken: breast, legs, thighs separated
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1.55kg basmati rice
- 2 handfuls coriander, chopped
- 2L water
Procedure1. Blend tomatoes with green chili until thick and chunky.
2. Separately, blend ginger and garlic to a puree.
3. Heat oil and ghee in a large pot until steaming hot. Then, on high heat, add cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, cardamoms, black pepper corns, cumin seeds, and cloves. Stir until fragrant, then add onion and cook until almost brown. Hint: proceed to the next step when ghee and oil bubbles subside.
4. Add garlic and ginger mixture and cook. Color of mixture should be a rich golden and light brown.
5. Next, add chicken to pot and coat thoroughly with mixture. Add 1 tbsp salt and mix very well.
6. Put lid on and cook for ten minutes until chicken juices emerge.
7. Remove lid and stir the chicken so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pot and so that the juices evaporate
8. When juices evaporate, add tomato mixture and cook until tomato liquid reduces by half.
9. Add potatoes and chili powder. Stir well.
10. Put lid on and cook for 10-15 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. Hint: oil should be present in pot.
11. Meanwhile, boil water in separate pot.
12. Add coriander to chicken and potato mixture and stir until (even more!) fragrant.
13. Add uncooked rice and stir very well. Then, add boiled water to pot and stir.
14. Add salt to taste and stir. Put lid back on and bring to boil.
15. When liquid has reduced, lower heat and simmer until liquid has absorbed.